Two-time world champion Tete shot dead outside homeTwo-time world champion Tete shot dead outside home

Tragic Incident in Eastern Cape

Zolani Tete, a two-time world champion boxer, was fatally shot outside his residence in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, South Africa. The incident occurred on Friday, with officials describing it as an ambush. Tete, who was 38 years old, was in his car, reportedly waiting for his house gate to open when two armed individuals, whose faces were obscured by balaclavas, emerged from another vehicle. They fired multiple shots at him and a 27-year-old female passenger.

The female passenger sustained multiple gunshot wounds and is currently receiving treatment in hospital. Police have initiated an investigation into the shooting, though the motive behind the attack remains unclear. Authorities have appealed to the public for any information that could assist their inquiry. The suspects fled the scene following the shooting.

Forensic pathologist standing near vehicle at crime scene
A forensic pathologist outside the home of Zolani Tete after the fatal shooting in Mdantsane in the Eastern Cape province.Photograph Credit: theguardian.com

A Distinguished Boxing Career

Tete, known by the nickname “Last Born,” had a distinguished career in professional boxing. He held the WBO bantamweight title from 2017 to 2019. Prior to that, he secured the IBF super-flyweight title in 2014. His professional record included 29 wins, with 22 by knockout, alongside four losses and one no-contest.

One of Tete’s notable achievements was setting a Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a title fight. This occurred in 2017 when he defeated Siboniso Gonya in just 11 seconds. He also had experience fighting internationally, including eight times in the United Kingdom, where he notably beat Paul Butler of Liverpool in 2015.

His breakthrough moment came in 2014 when he defeated Teiru Kinoshita on points in Japan to claim the IBF junior-bantamweight world title. He later captured the WBO interim title before becoming a recognised world champion. The southpaw boxer’s career spanned 34 matches.

Recent Challenges and Comeback Plans

Tete’s last professional appearance was in July 2022, when he defeated Briton Jason Cunningham by knockout in London. However, the result of this fight was later overturned and declared a no-contest after he failed a drugs test. He tested positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol, which led to a four-year ban imposed by the UK Anti-Doping Agency.

Despite the ban, Tete consistently denied knowingly taking the banned substance. His suspension concluded on July 29, 2026. According to his manager, Mla Tengimfene, Tete had been actively training for a comeback fight, aiming to return to the ring. Gayton McKenzie, South Africa’s Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, also confirmed that Tete was preparing for a return, believing he still had contributions to make to his country.

Former boxing world champion Zolani 'Last Born' Tete
Police said the motive behind the 38-year-old athlete’s murder remains unclear, but said they have started investigations.Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Action Images Credit: theguardian.com

Minister McKenzie expressed profound sorrow over the loss, stating that South Africa had lost one of its finest fighters. The World Boxing Council also issued a tribute, extending their condolences to his family and acknowledging his remarkable career. Tete’s death has drawn renewed attention to the issue of violent crime in South Africa, a country that, despite a recent decline in homicides, continues to experience high murder rates. Government data indicates an average of 58 people were murdered daily in South Africa during the first four months of 2026.

Source: bbc.co.uk

Avatar photo

By Ama Serwah

Ama covers national news, public affairs and community stories for readers in Ghana.